Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mom's kitchen remodel, Part I

This is my mother.  She's remodeling the kitchen in her new house before she moves.  I might move back in with her, but I would miss my grandparents' stories.


This is Penny.  She sits by the door and looks sad that she can't come inside.  There are nails and other sharp things on the floor.  And she smells.  Sorry, pup.


When my mom first started thinking about this remodel, she wanted simple lines and warm colors, and she didn't want to get new cabinetry if she could help it.  She couldn't help it.


The new cabinetry is simply gorgeous.  The wood is cherry with a natural finish, so it's not too red.  Red would be bad in this kitchen.  She has a teal island.  


See?  Teal.  I like it a lot.  There is no counter yet, but she has ordered it.  I'll show you guys when it's installed.  Until then, check out the pot-rack light thingy!


The guy in the background is the contractor.  Ignore him.  I'm still wondering why mom got a pot-rack light fixture, because her pots are lime green and would look out of place on the ceiling.  I'm sure she has a plan for it though.


The kitchen has pillars.  Fantastic pillars that have been giving the contractor some issues.  They're ornery pillars, but I like them.  I'm going to enjoy putting things on that little ledge just to annoy my mom.  It's what I do.


We're laying flooring this weekend.  Ok, I'm not going to be there to help.  I would get in the way and swear a lot.  I'm going to take pictures of the labor force and laugh at them while they swear a lot.

Sometimes my mom finds things like this:


I don't remember where she was going to put this, but I'm sure it will look wonderfully eccentric and out of place.  She likes things like that.  Sometimes I shake my head in confusion, and sometimes I understand.  This is definitely a shakes-head-in-confusion instance.  I still love her, though.  She's my mom.

2 comments:

  1. I like the thingy! haha. It's random and who cares if it doesn't match the pot/pan set she has. People won't be look they'll be too busy:
    1. smelling Sue's wonderful cooking
    2. getting outta of the cooking because she farted!

    Sue if you're hearing/reading this...remember I LOVE YOU LOTS :D and i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minnesota Girl's MomMarch 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

    GET THAT TRAVEL MUG OFF THE LITTLE LEDGE!

    ReplyDelete