Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring is here!

Well I think Spring is finally here.  It's raining, and the snow is mostly gone.  The grass is still that ugly shade of green-brown with some road sand mixed in for something different.  Yuck.  

I went for a walk yesterday with the dogs.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day, and the empty field next to the house was begging to be explored.  I left with the dogs, who were excited to get out of the yard.  Sniper was jumping all over me, and Penny actually got up from her spot by the door.  That's excited for the big one. 

They took off across the field, smelling everything they could and generally ignoring me.  I tried to get them to look at me, which if the neighbor had been home would have been slightly embarrassing.  


I might have been talking to the dogs the entire time.  Might have been, but then I also have been trying not to sink in the snow.  Sometimes I get too excited for Spring, and I forget that snow is cold.  I end up wearing not-so-weather-appropriate clothes and shoes for what I'm doing, and I end up doing something like this:



Stupid.  Yeah, that snow is now large ice crystals instead of snowflakes.  Ice hurts when it scrapes your legs. Whoops.  It reminded me of walking on a giant snow-cone.  

The dogs were really interested in ignoring me and finding imaginary rabbits and woodchucks.  I swear they didn't even know I was there even when I was standing right next to them.  


She's frustrating when she's ignoring me.  Penny!  Look at me!  I promise I won't take your picture since you clearly hate it.  She's slightly passive-aggressive.


Sniper, on the other hand, is just crazy.  I think she got stuck under this tree for a while, so I took pictures instead of trying to help her.  Whatever, she knocked me over when I opened the gate to let her out that morning.  

I didn't know there was a sand dune next door until yesterday, and we've been working on the house since November.  That sand was a pain to walk across.  I'm not very coordinated normally, but put me on sand and I can barely walk upright.   


The dogs didn't even seem to notice.  They just found some more snow to run across and eat.  


It's a giant doggie snow-cone!  They seemed to enjoy eating the snow I was trying (and failing) to not sink into.

We got back to the house and I found this in the yard:


It's a leftover from the previous owners, and it was whole when we moved in.  Sniper found it and is slowly demolishing it.  She also found a two-liter bottle of RC Cola.  Usually we give her empty bottles to play with and destroy, so she saw this one in the snow and decided it was hers.  (Note to my mom: don't put things in the snow if you don't want Sniper to eat them)  She discovered the joys of carbonated beverages.  


It's no surprise she was hyper when I came over.  That bottle was mostly full that morning!


Penny just ignores that silly little dog's antics.  Clearly Penny is much more mature and intelligent than that little dog.  Or she's just lazy.  You decide.

Happy Spring!

-Erika

P.S.  This is what happens when you use a saw in your brand-new kitchen.  It throws pieces of wood into the ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment